Yes, Virginia, there is a PFD (but plan ahead, too)
By Bob Teachworth, President & CEO
Denali has conducted numerous annual contests for members, designed to add value to the annual PFD checks from Alaska. This program continues in 2018 with a “Grand Idea” from Denali to provide $1,000 to five lucky winners of this year’s contest. (You’ll find more on that topic elsewhere in this newsletter.)
Many people look at the PFD as a short-term, immediate gratification check from the state. In this month’s column, I would like to take the opportunity to suggest that Denali offers products and services designed to help you achieve a longer-term benefit.
The annual PFD check – or a bonus you may receive from your business – is a welcome injection of cash in your daily life. Certainly, you want to spend it on any one of a hundred ways, from catching up on credit card payments, a special gift for a loved one, and much more. Also, consider saving at least a portion of that “bonus” for your future. Denali offers high-dividend certificates, Individual Retirement Account (IRA) products and money market accounts that can help you build a secure future.
Denali’s Investment Services department, available through CFS*, may help you create long-term plans for retirement, education plans for children or grandchildren, or products which may help you reduce your tax burden.§
Saving today can make a future “surprise” cost – such as an auto repair or unexpected medical expenses – less stressful, or make your retirement more enjoyable. Yes, the new year brings exciting opportunities to all of us… and it’s also a great time to plan success beyond just 2018.
* Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. Denali Federal Credit Union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.
§ Consult a tax professional for your specific situation.
It’s a new year… time to learn new ways to build your financial success
By Bill Murray, Chairman of the Board of Directors
The holiday season has just finished and there may be members who are concerned about paying for the gifts or holiday travel that may have been a bit more than your budget could afford. Financial concerns are not restricted to “post-holiday blues,” and that’s why Denali thinks it’s so important to offer financial education in various ways.
First of all, Denali staff are here to provide financial insights to help you achieve your financial success. Whenever you have a question or concern about your financial situation, please visit your branch or call the Member Contact Center to see if we can help you answer your questions and issues about your financial plans. After all, our mission is dedicated to you: Denali FCU exists to be a partner in our members’ financial success. Call on us anytime to discuss ways you can achieve the success you seek.
Two additional ways we can help you build your financial literacy are found in our Investment Services* and Home Loans departments. Each department offers special educational programs throughout the year. These workshops, led by our financial professionals or invited guests, present thoughtful discussions on financial issues from social security to home ownership. Each department is now working on their 2018 schedules, and you’ll soon find these sessions on our home page or Facebook page.
Education is an essential part of who we are. After all, you are more than a number at Denali – as an owner of this financial cooperative, you should expect more from us than you could from a bank or other financial institution. As each member becomes better consumers of financial products, we help build a stronger credit union for each other.
How can we help you build a budget for long-term success? Can we help you get into the right home at the right price, or find the best way to improve your home value? What can you do to improve your chances at getting a loan for your next big purchase? You’ll face these and many other questions in your financial life – I urge you call on your partners at Denali FCU to find the answers you seek.
* Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. (‘The Credit Union’ OR ‘Credit Union Name’) has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.
Board positions up for election
Two three-year seats are up for election to the Denali FCU Board of Directors. All voting members over the age of 18 may petition for a spot on the ballot. Petitions are available at Denali's administrative office, 440 E. 36th Ave., in Anchorage. Completed petitions, as well as résumé and letter of intention to run for the board, must be returned by Feb. 9, 2018. Call 907-257-7220, or toll-free 800-764-1123, ext. 220, for details about petition procedures.
If there are more candidates than open seats, ballots will be sent to members and voting will take place before the Annual Meeting in April.
Denali's Annual Meeting will be April 18, 2018, 5:30 p.m.
Denali grows services in Washington
Have you visited our Kent branch to discover all of the offerings our full service financial center provides? Come by your Kent Financial Center at 19802 62nd Ave. S., #101 in Kent, mention this article and we'll give you a complimentary coffee mug. Here are some of our full service offerings:
- Consumer accounts
- Consumer lending
- Business services
- Investment services
- Industry-leading online and mobile banking
- and more
See our Kent page to learn more about services in Washington.
Denali is thankful for yet another great year in Washington. Recent highlights include:
- Second Annual Clothing Drive for the Kent Area PTSA’s Clothing Bank for students in need
- Teamed with Kiwanis Club of Meridian Kent to provide holiday gifts, lunch, and a photo session with Santa for five local families
- Sponsored the American Marketing Association’s Puget Sound Trivia Night at 7 Seas Brewery in Tacoma
- Sponsored Rockin’ the Decades for a Cure for the Kiwanis supporting Seattle Children’s Hospital
Denali night at University of Alaska Anchorage men’s basketball
Presidents Day – all Denali branches closed*
• Mat-Su Outdoor Show
• Fairbanks IABA Home Show
Denali scholarship applications due
Denali Annual Meeting, 5:30 p.m.
*Most transactions can be made 24 hours a day via mobile app, at www.denalifcu.org or by calling InTouch 24, our 24-hour Telephone Teller (907-257-7224 in Anchorage, 907-456-1937 in Fairbanks, and 800-764- 1123 option 2, from anywhere else in Alaska or the U. S.).
Earn an extra $1,000 with your 2018 PFD
We’ve got a “Grand Idea” for your PFD this year – direct deposit your 2018 PFD into your Denali account and it could be worth an additional $1,000. Five members will be awarded $1,000 prizes in our random drawing. When you apply for your 2018 PFD, make sure to have your payment deposited directly into your Denali account, and you’re automatically entered for a chance to win.
See our Grand Idea page for PFD applications, application instructions and PFD eiligibility guidelines. If you haven’t applied before or if you want to change where you deposit your 2018 check, you must use Denali’s ABA routing number (325272047) on the application.
Members outside of Alaska can also enter to win.* You Belong Here because Denali Federal Credit Union takes the extra steps necessary to help you build a successful financial life, and the “Grand Idea” is just another way we work for your benefit! Winners will be selected after the 2018 PFD checks are posted to member accounts in October, 2018.
* No purchase necessary. Visit our Grand Idea page for more information, including alternate entry.
Denali to award $5,000 scholarships
Denali is awarding $5,000 scholarships to three high school seniors graduating in 2018. Ask for an application at any Denali branch, or see our Scholarships page. Deadline to enter is April 2.
Get two months of free services with Denali Business Services
Gear up your business with the Denali Business Suite and receive your first two months free of fees – saving you up to $205*. Enjoy products and services such as:
- Business Checking and Savings Accounts – Accounts with easy terms, security, growth and competitive rates
- Remote Deposit Capture – Process payments from the convenience of your home or office
- Automated Clearinghouse – Electronically make or collect payments faster and at a lower cost
- TSYS Payment Processing – Discover Denali’s full line of payment acceptance products
- Business Credit Card – Offers purchasing convenience, cost savings and detailed reporting
Learn more at our Business Services page or call 907-339-2546 (Alaska), 253-234-6292 (Washington).
*Offer valid until March 31, 2018
Seize a golden opportunity
Use your Denali Visa® Card for a chance to win a trip to a past Olympic Winter Games host city.
Albertville, France; Lillehammer, Norway; Nagano, Japan; any past Olympics Winter Games host city — where would you like to go? Use your Denali Visa through Feb. 28 for a chance to win a trip to a past Olympic Winter Games host city, courtesy of Denali and Visa. Get a chance to win every time you make a purchase with an eligible Denali Visa Card within the United States or Canada between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28.
See our Visa Olympics page for promotion details and rules.
Employees volunteer more than 2,300 hours
In 2017, Denali employees and members contributed more than 2,351 volunteer hours within the communities we live. Many organizations and causes benefited from the Community Counts initiative.
There are too many beneficiaries to list all, but here are some of our largest beneficiaries:
- Get Real Financial Reality Fair
- Junior Achievement of Alaska
- Alaska Society of HR Managers
- Girl Scouts of Alaska
- Boy Scouts of America -Troup 265
- Pop Warner Football and Cheer
- Anchorage City-wide Clean-up
- Food Bank of Alaska
- Inspire VBC
- Kent PTSA
- Kent Kiwanis
- Relay for Life
- Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center
- Next Step
Visit our Community Counts page to learn more.