17 things to be thankful for in ‘17
By Bob Teachworth, President & CEO
The start of a new year is always fresh with exciting possibilities for the year ahead, and it’s also a time to look back at the things that have helped contribute to our success. There are many things we can be thankful for as a credit union, and I thought it may be a good idea to highlight the top 17 things that Denali is thankful for to celebrate the new year 2017:
- Members – more than 72,000 members call the credit union their home, and we appreciate each of you for your support of Denali through the years.
- Volunteer leadership – Denali’s Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee are dedicated volunteers who serve you every day of the year.
- Staff – I’m proud to work with more than 300 other individuals at the Credit Union who are dedicated to helping you achieve your financial success.
- Global opportunities – while the bulk of our membership is found in Alaska and Washington, Denali serves members around the world.
- Shared branches and ATMs – more than 5,400 branches and 30,000 ATMs provide no- or low-surcharge service, so you’re never far from your Denali account.
- Technology – Denali has used financial technology, from the internet, to mobile access, to Facebook and more in successful efforts to connect you with your finances around the clock.
- Home Loans*
- Business Services*
*All of these departments provide one-stop financial service to you at Denali FCU
- Rates – take a look at our website's home page, and you will see how Denali stacks up against the competition…and know that we’re fighting for your benefit each and every day.
- Insured accounts – the full faith and backing of the Federal Government insures your accounts up to $250,000. There are ways to structure your accounts to gain even larger insurance coverage – ask us for details.
- Community awareness/support – we contribute time and money to local organizations to strengthen community ties and the quality of life in the communities we serve.
- Education– Denali is dedicated to support the youth of our communities in schools and through the many local organizations helping youngsters learn life-long lessons, because…
- Future - …the future we face together is in the youth of today, and our mission is always directed toward being your partner in a successful financial future.
- Home – Denali will do its best to support financial strength and growth for you and all that is important to you.
- Strength in numbers – The combined power of our 72,000 members and more than 670 SEGs allows us to maintain low rates, support high dividend rates and provide members with the latest banking technologies.
What are you thankful for in 2017? Visit our Facebook page and add your thoughts on what contributes to your outlook for the coming year. Thank you for your membership.
New Directions in the new year
By Bill Murray, Chairman of the Board of Directors
In an effort to build more community development awareness for Denali FCU, we are going to change the way we conduct Member Appreciation Days starting in 2017.
Denali will start hosting local community service events in the cities/regions where we’re located as the major theme of these future Member Appreciation Day events; for example, we may dedicate an afternoon to building a Habitat for Humanity home or organizing a “Community Action” day to assist a local non-profit agency with both staff and members.
Giving back to the communities we serve is an important part of any credit union’s social responsibility, and these efforts will be coordinated under Denali’s “Community Counts” banner. We look forward to marshalling the combined efforts of both members and staff as we develop these community events, to showcase Denali’s concern for supporting local causes.
Denali will host small events at all of the branches during the “Member Appreciation Days” period this spring and summer. At those events, we’ll have light refreshments and desserts for members at all of the branches, but the main activity will focus on our dedication and ability to support the social activities that help keep our communities strong.
The Credit Union mantra since day 1 of the movement has always been “For People, not for Profit” and this new direction with community-support activities ties perfectly into that theme. Building our communities is an essential goal of Denali – whether we’re working with individual members to build life-long financial health, supporting businesses with their development and growth goals, or contributing to the quality of life in the communities we serve. I look forward to your participation in our new-look Member Appreciation Days, as we show appreciation not only for our fellow members, but for the greater good of all of the cities where we’re located.
Your future is now
Your future is now; start planning for retirement at every stage of life. There’s no need to do this alone. Let our CFS* advisors help you, and schedule your complimentary consultation today – because retirement planning starts now!”
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. The credit union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.
Earn an extra $1,000 with your 2017 PFD
A “Denali Dividend” could be worth an additional $1,000 to five lucky members who conduct a direct deposit* of their PFD check at Denali FCU.
When applying for your 2017 PFD, make sure to have the check deposited directly into your Denali account, and you’re automatically entered for a chance to win a Denali Dividend. Five lucky winners will be selected after the 2017 PFD checks are posted to member accounts in October, 2017.
Online applications are available at the PFD website. The state of Alaska doesn’t use “bank codes” for direct deposit any longer; if you haven’t applied before or if you want to change where you deposit your 2017 check, you must use Denali’s ABA routing number (325272047) on the application.
If you’re a member outside of Alaska, you can still enter to win!*
You Belong Here because Denali takes the extra steps necessary to help you build a successful financial life, and the Denali Dividend is just another way we work for your benefit!
* No purchase necessary. Visit www.denalifcu.org/2017-pfd-promofor more information on the promotion, including alternate entry.
Scholarship program returns
We’re awarding three high school seniors $5,000 scholarships to help pay for tuition and expenses.* Visit the Scholarships page for complete details, rules and applications.
*2 students from Alaska and 1 student from Washington.
Must be a primary member on an account at Denali Federal Credit Union. (If you are not a member, visit any branch or go online to open an account, you MUST be the primary holder of the account, not your parents). Must be a high school senior graduating in 2017. Must have a GPA of 2.25 or above. Application must be postmarked or submitted to any branch by April 3, 2017. No deadline exceptions.
Set a goal for a chance to win cash
Make a resolution to improve your financial fitness with Denali’s free EnCompass Personal Finance Management tool and you can win a $500, $250 or $100 prize. EnCompass is easy to use and helps you track and budget expenses much like Mint or Quicken. Best of all, EnCompass is free for Denali members to use through Online Banking. Get started today and see how EnCompass can help you create a plan to achieve your financial goals. Resolution 2017 details and rules »
Get your maximum refund and save
Denali has teamed up with popular tax preparation tool TurboTax to save you up to $15 on TurboTax® federal products. Have a simple federal return? File for free with the TurboTax Federal Free Edition. Get your biggest possible refund and search 350+ deductions and credits, so you won’t miss a thing. Save on TurboTax »
Community Counts update
Denali’s Community Counts program, that encourages employees to get involved in volunteer activities in their communities, includes paying each employee for two hours of volunteer work each month. However, the vast majority (95%) is unpaid volunteering. In 2016 Denali employees volunteered 1,675 hours, which is 150 hours over last year. The employees volunteered for everything from the Alaska Military Youth Academy, to the Mrs. Alaska Organization, multiple programs in schools like Junior Achievement and the Get Real Financial Reality Fairs, as well as the Food Bank, Blood Bank, Children’s Lunchbox and Red Cross. Nine employees volunteered over 40 hours of time.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day — These locations will be closed: Financial Center, City Hall, Minnesota Drive (Anchorage), Fairbanks/Northgate, Juneau, Kent, Wash. All other locations will have regular business hours.
Presidents Day — These locations will be closed: Financial Center, City Hall, Minnesota Drive (Anchorage), Fairbanks/Northgate, Juneau, Kent, Wash. All other locations will have regular business hours.
*Most transactions can be conducted 24 hours a day via our mobile app or on the internet at www.denalifcu.org or by calling InTouch 24, our 24-hour Telephone Teller (257-7224 in Anchorage, 456-1937 in Fairbanks, and 800-764-1123 option 2, from anywhere else in Alaska or the U. S.). Denali ATMs also offer transaction services at more than 40 locations throughout Alaska. Most branch ATMs are accessible 24/7.